Anytime you add a new building to your property, you want that building to last for as long as possible. Not only does a long-lasting building mean you get more for your money in terms of the investment you make, but it also avoids the hassle of needing to move everything out of an aging building and into a new one.
With this in mind, we wanted to take a look at the topic of how long sheds can be expected to last on your land. A shed is an incredibly useful structure, especially when it is customized to meet your needs. But how long will a new one last? We’ll find some answers below.
Speaking of customization, no one does it better than American Steel Carports, Inc. With our Build & Price tool, you can easily create a shed design that will suit your needs perfectly for years to come. Get started today, and feel free to contact us if you need any help along the way.
The Material Helps a Shed Last
One of the fundamental variables that will determine how long your shed will last is the material used to construct that shed. There are a few different materials used for sheds, and they will each come with a different expected timeline for longevity. Consider the following –
- Metal sheds. This is the best way to go in terms of longevity. A quality metal shed from a trusted supplier will last for many decades, with no firm expiration date coming anytime soon. Metal stands up beautifully to the elements, isn’t a fire risk, and requires very little maintenance along the way. Without a doubt, if longevity is at or near the top of your priority list, metal is the way to go.
- Wood sheds. Many sheds are made from wood, and this is another good material to consider. While longevity usually falls short of what metal provides, wood sheds can last for a couple of decades, if not longer, with proper care.
- Vinyl sheds. These kinds of pre-fab sheds you will see for sale at home centers and other locations. While they are certainly affordable and can get the job done in a pinch, they aren’t going to offer particularly impressive longevity and might suffer from quality issues.
When you decide to invest in a shed, you want to know that the shed is going to stand the test of time. For that, it’s hard to beat what metal provides to the structure, which is why we are proud to provide these types of buildings to our customers at American Steel Carports, Inc.
Other Important Variables
We’ve established that the material used to build the shed is the most important factor in the longevity equation, and metal is your best choice on that point. With that said, some other variables will come into play here, so we should touch on those below, as well.
- Climate. The weather the shed faces regularly is going to have an impact on its longevity. A building in a calm, mild climate will typically last longer than one that deals with extreme temperatures, strong winds, heavy precipitation, and more.
- Foundation. Providing your shed with a firm foundation is another piece that will help it last for as long as possible. Without a good foundation, the ground will gradually shift under the shed, meaning the building will move and may start to fall apart in time.
- Quality. No matter what material you go with, getting a building made to a high-quality standard is something that can’t be replaced and will have a strong impact on how long the shed lasts in the end.
Keeping Up with Maintenance
Another point that needs to be made on this topic relates to the maintenance provided to the building as the years go by. The shed’s owner can play an active role in how long it lasts by making sure to give it the care it needs year after year. This is another area where metal sheds come to the forefront as metal buildings require very little care, so you won’t need to spend much time on maintenance, and you can still enjoy a long life. In contrast, getting a long lifespan out of a wood shed will likely require plenty of ongoing upkeep.
Metal is the Right Choice
If it’s a long-lasting shed that you are after, metal is certainly the right choice. By ordering from American Steel Carports, Inc., you’ll wind up with a shed that will stand the test of time and will serve your needs for many years ahead. Not only that, but you’ll enjoy a great price and a smooth customer service experience. Don’t wait any longer to get started contact us today.