Simplicity is one of the big selling points when it comes to carports. As you seek out a structure that can provide shelter for your vehicles and/or other possessions, you’ll find that steel carports are appealing for many reasons. They are quick and easy to construct, they are affordable, and a good one will stand the test of time. While you want to keep things as simple as possible for this project, you may be wondering if you need to have a building permit in place for your new carport.
Learn more below, and use our convenient Build & Price Tool to customize your carport, view a 3-D rendering, and receive an instant quote!
The Answer is Often Yes
Unfortunately, we can’t provide everyone in this post with a one-size-fits-all answer to whether or not you will need a building permit. What we can say is this: permits are often required for carports. In many places, it is necessary to secure a building permit for your project, even if the structure is not technically going to be placed into the ground. If you live in a city of at least a modest size, there is a good chance you will need a permit to complete this project in accordance with the law.
With that said, the best thing you can do is to contact a government office in your area. There is no need to guess at the need for a permit, and you shouldn’t just assume the answer will be yes or no. Tracking down the right information shouldn’t take very long, so there is really no excuse to cut corners at this stage. Our agents here at American Steel Carports will also be happy to help you find the permitting information you need. Feel free to contact us for assistance today!
How To Get A Permit
Once you determine that you do need a permit for your carport, it would be wise to get started on the permitting process right away. Luckily, this can be done in just a few steps:
- Contact your local government agency. Again, your local permitting agency will be your best resource to inform you of the exact permitting needs for your carport.
- Schedule in advance. Even if the process goes smoothly, you still want to allow for a little bit of time for it to play out. If you wait until close to when you want to have the structure installed, you might find that your timeline ends up being pushed back as a result.
- Apply. You will need to fill out an application and pay a fee in order to pursue a permit.
- Wait for approval. This is an important step. While you may have a good chance to have your application approved, don’t schedule the installation work until you have the permit in hand and are ready to go. It just makes sense to do everything in the right order to avoid frustrating and costly changes later on.
- Get your carport! With a permit in hand, you’re ready to install your carport. When you order a carport from American Steel Carports, you’ll be happy to know that shipping and installation are included within the cost!
The bottom line is that you should play it safe by doing the permitting first and getting the work scheduled once the permit process is all wrapped up.
Don’t Take The Risk
It’s easy enough to think that going ahead with your project without the proper building permit won’t get you in any trouble. After all, will anyone even know, or care, that you have added a structure to your property without the proper permit? Well, there is no way to know for sure, but it isn’t worth the risk. Simply put, the permitting process doesn’t tend to be all that expensive or time-consuming, meaning it’s not worth it to take a risk just to cut out this part of the project.
Should you decide to go ahead without a permit, you’ll be opening yourself up to a variety of negative outcomes. For one thing, you won’t have the opportunity to learn of any reasons why you should not be adding a structure to the given spot on your property. Also, if you are reported to the relevant government agency and found to have built the structure without a permit, it’s possible that you will be required to take it down. To avoid these and other potential frustrations, just manage the permit requirements in advance and set your worries to the side.
Get A Quality Steel Carport Today
American Steel Carports is the perfect choice when you are ready to order a quality metal structure for your property. Whether you are in the market for a simple, single-vehicle carport or you need a large enclosed garage for your toys and tools, we are ready to help. Use our Build & Price Tool to get an idea of what is possible, and feel free to contact us if you need assistance. We look forward to serving you!