Taking a vacation in an RV can be stressful, but it doesn’t need to be. Wide open spaces and beautiful roads await. If you’re ready to pack your bags, read on to discover the ultimate RV road trip packing list! And, if you’re looking for a home base for your RV, remember to consider American Steel Carports. Start by exploring our free Build & Price tool to create a comfortable place for your RV to rest when you aren’t on the open road.
Your Complete RV Road Trip Packing List
Start with Clothes
This is the main category of items that you need to pack for every trip, so it’s the best place to start. Since the clothes you pack will vary depending on the weather and your planned activities, you’ll want to spend the most time on this task so you can enjoy your trip and be as comfortable as possible.
We can’t give you a specific list of what you should take because there are so many variables, but here’s a good starting point –
- Clothes for relaxing outside and hanging around the campsite
- Clothes for activities you are going to enjoy – such as swimsuits or hiking garments
- Clothes for time spent in the RV, such as pajamas
- Undergarments sufficient for two (or more) days than you plan to travel
- Plenty of towels (especially if swimming is on the agenda)
- Laundry bags to separate dirty clothes from clean clothes
- And remember, packing extra clothes never hurts. After all, you don’t know when you may accidentally spill something on your outfit, and it’s good to have a few backup options at hand.
A Basic Set of Tools
You don’t need to pack enough tools to rebuild the entire RV, but to be safe, you want enough tools to perform basic maintenance while on the road. With the right set of tools for routine tasks, life on the road is a lot easier. Assemble a tool kit for your RV and leave it in a dedicated box. Here are some of the best items to include:
- Set of screwdrivers
- Wrenches, including an adjustable wrench and a socket set
- Rope and duct tape
- Utility knife with replacement blades
- WD-40 or similar lubricant
Personal Items for Everyone
There are various things that you want to include when packing for personal hygiene and health. These items will vary some from person to person, of course, but some of the key elements to think about include:
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss
- Medications, both over-the-counter and any prescriptions.
- Your pet’s medication and bowls. If your dog is traveling with you, remember their medications, too! This is so easy to forget.
- A bottle of lotion
- Bug spray and sunscreen
- A disposable camera. Just for fun!
The whole point of heading out on an RV trip is to have a great time, so your packing won’t be finished until you load up some entertainment options to include in the rig with you. This can include both things that you will use inside of the RV and any equipment and accessories you’ll need to enjoy your favorite outdoor activities. Of course, space is limited in an RV, so be strategic and make room for what you’re likely to use the most.
- A pack of cards and some board games are great for rainy days or taking breaks from being out in the sun.
- Kids (or adults) might want to bring art supplies like pens and pencils and some paper
- Books or magazines to read during quiet time
- Depending on space, you might bring bikes, scooters, inflatables for the water, fishing poles, etc.
Find Your Home Base with American Steel
We hope you found this RV road trip packing list helpful! With an organized packing plan in place, you’re already one step closer to your next exciting trip. And remember to always keep your RV protected when it isn’t on the open road. With a metal carport, you’ll know it will be kept safe from the elements between now and your next adventure. If you’re ready to start building, explore our free Build & Price tool today!